Are you looking for digital marketing success? You might have heard of Google My Business as a tool that can help prospective customers find you online and in person. This is a blog which is going to explain what Google My Business is, how it works, how it can help you — and we’ll also show you how to update your business information to ensure your listing is accurate.
One of the best things about Google My Business (GMB) is that it is free to set up and maintain, and it is a tool that helps you manage your online presence while allowing you to seek greater exposure in your local area.
The Fundamentals of Google My Business
Whether you are a bit of a digital marketing pro or if this is your first foray into online marketing, we’re going to go over the basics of Google My Business to ensure that everyone is on the same page.
- Google my business is a free listing that gives you a public identity and presence on Google’s search results
- The information you provide about your business will appear in both Google’s search results and also as a local listing on Google maps
- Getting started with Google My Business is straightforward and simple; you can simply search on Google to see if your business is listed already. If your business has been around for a few years it is likely that you have a Google My Business listing — all you need to do is claim it.
How to Set up Your Google My Business Listing
If you’re not sure if you have a GMB listing already you can head to this page and enter your business information to confirm whether you have a listing. If you have a listing, you will be notified of this – and you may find that someone else has claimed your business.
If someone else has claimed your business, you can follow these steps to get it back!
If you need to set up a new business listing, then you can go through the steps to fill out your information including business details. Choose the right category for your business and select whether you offer goods or services to customers in your local area.
- Edit your service area details using Google My Business
- Ensure that if you are serving customers in local areas that you choose “yes” next to the “I deliver goods and services to my customers at their locations”
- Select the box next to “I serve customers at my business address” to ensure that your complete address appears on Google and your business location is staffed and able to receive customers during its stated hours
Once you have submitted your business information, you will need to verify your listing.
How to Verify Your Listing
It is simple to verify your Google listing – you can verify using your mailing address. Google will send you a postcard to the address you supplied with a code on it. Use this code to confirm your listing and get your listing live! The entire verification process is fairly swift, and it’s likely that you will have verified your business within a week.
Important – While GMB is a great way to increase your exposure it’s not a magic bullet for your marketing efforts; you need to use your GMB listing in combination with your SEO and on-site efforts. You need to have a great website with an accurate profile working together to ensure that your business achieves the results you’re after.
How is my business ranked on Google My Business?
There are a range of factors that Google uses to determine where you rank online – but some of the most important factors include the –
- Location/proximity of your business
- Relevance of your ad
- Prominence of your listing
Location/proximity of your business
This is relevant because you want to be appearing for the searches people are doing in their local area. While we’re just as in the dark as everyone else about the exact way in which Google’s algorithms work, it’s fair to say that if you are located in a certain area, are creating local content in your area, and getting reviews from people in that area, that Google will consider your business relevant and display your listing.
Relevance of your listing
You need to have clear and specific information, description, listing and up to date content on your listing. This is pretty straightforward and ensures that when people click on your listing that they get the right information.
Prominence of your listing
Prominence is about ensuring that you have reviews, local events, local content and information that shows you are committed to being a business in your local area. Keep your listing updated and manage your reviews by responding to people. Make sure you include keywords in your listing including the suburb or area if you service a particular location. Keep your opening hours relevant (update them regularly) and add some great (high quality) photos of your business.
How can I improve my ranking and optimise my listing?
It’s always possible to improve your ranking and listing, and as anyone who has done some SEO or digital marketing before will know – the process of SEO and digital marketing is one of continual improvement. Here are some tips for improving your ranking and listing –
- Ensure that you are claiming your listing with your full and accurate business name
- Pick the category of your business and be accurate with what you offer
- Give plenty of information and use detail in your descriptions
- Ensure that your phone number is accurate (and update it if it changes!)
- Take professional photos and ensure that they show up clearly on your devices
- Encourage reviews with your users and respond to your feedback online
- Do not set and forget – always work on updating and honing your listing
We hope this has been helpful and a good resource. Now, if you don’t have GMB in place or are unsure then either get in touch or get started online!
If you’re unsure about any of this or have questions, then please call your account manager on 1300 596 636 for a chat about your business and what you are looking for. New client? Call us now for more information on how we can help. KDM are the Brisbane SEO and digital marketing agency to call on for great results