Contrary to what many marketers believe, content marketing and SEO are not at odds with each. In fact, they go hand in hand. To understand just how well SEO and content marketing go together, it helps to first look at what each field offers and how they intersect. This way, you can understand how to harness their full potentials in your digital marketing strategy.
Content marketing and its benefits
Content marketing is unique in the sense that its approach is to educate and inform first, and to sell second (if at all). The way it attracts customers is by answering questions and providing information that helps solve people’s problems.
Common examples of content marketing include informative videos, blogs, tutorials, and social media posts that help your audience learn something new.
Content marketing allows businesses to –
- Build loyalty and trust in customers. By consistently providing valuable information, customers warm up to a brand or business and are naturally encouraged to explore more about them.
- Reach distant users. Content marketing allows businesses to reach out to audiences that actively avoid content with hard sells and promotions. It lets business reach out to people whom they would not have reached with traditional sales materials.
- Touch on the pillars of digital marketing. Content marketing allows businesses to create content that they can use for their other digital marketing campaigns, including SEO pages, EDMs, and social media.
SEO and its benefits
SEO (Search Engine Optimisation) is the field of digital marketing that works to improve your site’s search engine rankings to increase visitors to your site. It is a cornerstone of modern digital marketing and a must-have for many businesses in highly competitive markets.
SEO allows businesses to –
- Build brand awareness. Ranking at the top of search engine results significantly improves brand recognition. The higher your search engine rankings, the more people can see your brand when they search for your targeted keywords.
- Attract new customers. SEO helps businesses grow and increase their revenues by putting their websites at the front and centre of their target markets. By attracting new people to their websites, they get a chance to convert more visitors into customers.
- Be more accessible. The higher your rankings in search engines, the more likely people can find your website – it’s a simple as that! (After all, most people don’t go past the first two or three pages of search results.)
Working together towards one goal
Cheesy headings aside, nothing can be truer about content marketing and SEO. Not only can they exist in the same digital marketing campaign, but they actually complement each other and make each other more effective.
For example, the best way to hit target keywords and topics organically is to create content that features these words and ideas. And the more variety of content you have with these keywords, the better your SEO will likely be. This content variety is precisely what a good content marketing plan offers.
Content marketing, on the other hand, requires proper exposure and reach to be truly effective. No matter how great your content may be, it will be useless if people don’t see them. This is where SEO comes in. SEO allows you to optimise your online content to make them more accessible and more easily seen by your target market.
How to integrate both into your digital marketing strategy
- Set clear goals – the first thing to do is to decide from the start what you want to accomplish with your overall digital marketing campaign. From here, you can determine how you can incorporate SEO and content marketing into it. Do you want to increase conversion rates? Boost website traffic? Attract new leads? Having clear goals early on will help you create an effective strategy and set the right performance indicators.
- Know your market – Everybody is different, and not everyone has the same needs or looks for the same information. By doing your research and understanding your target market, you can plan your SEO campaign and content marketing initiatives more efficiently.
- Research high performing, relevant keywords – Find keywords that your target market use when they search for products or services like yours. This will give you insights into the types of content and information they want.
- Use keywords and phrases that you want to rank for in your content – Writing great articles isn’t enough if you want to make the most out of your content. You’ll also want to incorporate the right keywords into whatever content you make so that search engines can assess and rank your it accordingly.
- Measure your results – By measuring and analysing your results, you can identify which keywords and content are performing and which aren’t. Use these data and information to refine your SEO and content marketing strategies.
- Be consistent – It takes time and a lot of consistency before you can see the full results of your SEO and content marketing campaigns. Remember to stay patient and focus on building momentum rather than looking for instant results.
- Stay current. Staying up-to-date with the latest SEO trends and content marketing tactics will help you adjust your campaign and initiatives accordingly so you don’t get left behind by any changes in search engine guidelines.
Need Help With Your SEO or Content Marketing?
Have a chat with our team to find out how we can improve or support your SEO and content marketing. We have digital marketing experts who can provide the boost your campaign needs to take your business to the next level.